The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, November 9, 2015

Read That Label


We often don't pay attention to the ingredients in OTC medicines. I do... because I once had a problem with getting too much vitamin A. It gave me symptoms that mimicked, I thought, illness. I would get nauseous, dizzy (maybe I should say "dizzier"), and experience some pain. I learned to be careul about what I ingested. I continue to pay attention to labels even today although vitamin A is less of a problem now.

Maybe I don't get as much vitamin A from my diet now... or maybe my body has changed. At one time, I couldn't take vitamins every day. Now I do; you get old and you need some supplements.

We tend to forget that OTC medicines (once called "patent medicines") are not all that safe and we often neglect to tell our doctors what OTC medicines we routinely take. One of our dinner friends was a nurse and knows something about medicines, she regaled us with information last week.

I learned quite a bit. But pay attention to those labels... on just about everything.


2 comments:

Tom said...

Good advice. Last year I got some burst blood vessels in my hand and arm. I finally went to the clinic. The doc questioned me about my habits and concluded I was taking too mush aspirin and Advil. Now I'm much more careful about the pain relievers -- and no more blood vessel problems.

Douglas said...

Tom, someone recently told me that the FDA would not have given aspirin, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen an okay today. I have no real reason to disbelieve that. I can't take Tylenol or Ibuprofen so I am stuck with aspirin but I only take one 325mg tablet on rare occasions. Still, I have a lot of friends who take the 81mg tablets daily (on doctor's orders).