The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Monday, May 4, 2015

Nostalgia


Make it like it was
The way it used to be



The above is a line from "Make it like it was" by Regina Belle and it could be the guiding ethic of many of us "older folks." Especially those of us who had our childhoods in the 50's to early 60's. I like the song but I know we cannot turn back the clock. And I wouldn't want to. There were things that were bad in those days, things I wouldn't want to see being the "norm" again. Institutionalized racism (Jim Crow laws), for instance, or the practice of "red-lining."

It was strange, we had less freedom then but we didn't notice. In some ways, we had more freedom but that was because there were a lot of people who we might call "busybodies", people who paid attention to the things we did and would tell our parents. Yet, we seemingly roamed very freely. It was contradictory times, I suppose.

It helped that I lived in a small town far from the big city (maybe 50 miles, maybe, but it might as well have been a 1000); we got a lot of TV and radio stations because of that big city. A fact that was driven home to me when we moved to Florida where we were closer to the big city but had fewer stations (3 TV stations instead of 5-7). Still, we didn't miss much and didn't care. I didn't spend a lot of time in front of the TV set. I was busy much of the time exploring the area around my new home.

I guess I miss my youth, something that I can never have back.
 
 

2 comments:

Notes From ABroad said...

I completely relate to the busybodies.
I lived in North Carolina when I was a child and all the adults would keep an eye on any children running around. We / the children, were able to be free range :) If someone had a problem or got hurt, any parent would tend to them .. those days are long gone :(

Douglas said...

Notes, and we cannot get them back nor should we really want to. But it would be nice to see some common sense prevail from time to time.