The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, April 17, 2014

I Wanna Go Home!


It doesn't take long to figure out why Americans think of vacations in two week chunks. After two weeks, you miss your own bed, your house, your refrigerator, your TV even.

Mostly, I miss my recliner.  I was sitting in the hotel room the other night and kept reaching for the little handle that reclines it... there wasn't one but that didn't stop me for reaching for it... several times. But that isn't all. I miss the friendly and familiar comfort of home.

You know what I mean, don't you? That familiarity, that knowing where everything is feeling?

There were periods in my life where I didn't miss these things; times I lived out of a suitcase... times where practically everything I owned fit in a 3 foot by 3 foot by 14 inch deep "locker" or could be stuffed into a seabag. In a way, I miss those days. But then "home" was a ship and I was either on it or had to be back on it by midnight or 7 AM.

Now I own a home and miss it when I'm away for more than a week.

Life is change, I guess. But not too much change.


2 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Your almost there. Not much longer. Quit down, back there.

Douglas said...

I am just a big baby, Joanne.